Make your own Wood Slice Ornaments from branches or store bought wood slices.
Wood slice ornaments are a great way to bring the outdoors in and add natural and rustic elements to your home. I was able to score some thick branches when my husband trimmed the tree in our front yard. If you don’t have any branches that need trimming then you can also purchase the wood slices already cut for you.
As far as designs go there are no rules here. Paint, stamp, stencil, freehand or add pictures and images.
Use this personalized wood ornament:
- To hang on a Christmas tree
- As a place card
- As a gift tag
- To label items
*This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
TOOLS FOR WOOD SLICE ORNAMENT
- Saw – I use this Miter saw
- Sandpaper – I use the Ryobi Multi Tool for sanding small items
- Drill – I use this drill and a 1/8″ drill bit
- Silhouette Cameo
SUPPLIES FOR WOOD SLICE ORNAMENT
- Wood branch (diameter app 2 – 2 1/2 inches) or wood slices
- Acrylic paint, paint pens, Sharpie markers, stickers, vinyl
- Material for stenciling – I use stenciling vinyl or contact paper
- Paint brushes
- Jute or twine
CUTS FOR WOOD SLICE ORNAMENT
- I cut several slices about 1/4 inch wide
STEPS TO COMPLETE WOOD SLICE ORNAMENT
Step 1) After the cuts were made I drilled a hole at the top of each ornament to be able to thread the string through. Then I lightly sanded any rough spots.Step 2) I applied a coat of acrylic paint in several different colors to the wood slices on both sides. Then I let them dry. Step 3) Adding designs. I did this a couple different ways. I used stencils cut with my Silhouette Cameo and added acrylic paint. I also used stencils and used oil based Sharpies. I did a couple freehand as well.
PIN now to save for later!Now you have a cute, rustic ornament to add to your Christmas tree.