Tis the season for soup making. What better way to celebrate this season than with butternut squash. The color alone has autumn written all over it. Butternut squash makes a thick, sweet, yummy broth and pairs well with several different types of vegetables and ingredients.
This soup is healthy and hearty. It is packed full of vegetables and has a sweet, savory flavor. Main ingredients are butternut squash, sweet potato, corn, kale and chicken sausage.
Instructions with pictures are provided below to help you with mastering this soup if you have never made this type of soup before. Don’t be intimidated by the process. This soup is a little more involved than other thinner broth type soups, but it is worth the effort.
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil for the vegetables – I used coconut oil
- 1 butternut squash - mine weighed about 3.5 lbs at the grocery store
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1 pound of chicken sausage - I used ground sweet Italian flavored
- 1 large sweet potato – small bite sized slices
- ½ bunch of curly kale - stems removed, cut into small to medium sized pieces
- 1 cup Corn
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans of chicken stock
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Puncture the butternut squash with a fork in several places. Microwave on high for 8 minutes, stopping halfway to flip. The squash should be soft but not mushy. Microwaving the squash makes it easier to peel the squash and helps cut down on cooking time. Let the squash cool to the touch. While the squash is microwaving and cooling, brown the chicken sausage for about 8-10 minutes over medium to high heat. Set aside.
- Puncture the sweet potato and microwave on high for 4 minutes, stopping halfway to flip. Allow to cool. The potato should be slightly soft but not mushy. Microwaving the sweet potato makes it easier to cut the potato and can cut down on cooking time.
- Peel the squash with a knife (step 1), cut in half lengthwise and cross wise (step 2), spoon out the seeds and throw away (step 3). Cut squash into small cubes. Add the cooking oil to a large pot over medium to high heat. Add the onion and squash. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking cut the sweet potato and kale. Set aside. Add the almond milk and salt to the butternut squash, onion and chicken stock mixture. Pour into a blender or food processor and blend for 30 seconds. Return puree to the pot. Add the sweet potato and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, add the chicken sausage and cook until potatoes are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the kale, stir all together and serve.
Hope you are enjoying fall,