This Healthy Egg Bake fulfills two themes for this month, healthy living and organization. So I am sure you can understand the healthy living part. But the organization part??? No unfortunately it is not going to clean and vacuum for you. What is great about this dish is it can help with time during a busy part of the day…breakfast. Not only can you make this and eat it right then, but it is a great dish to make ahead of time. It warms up nicely in the microwave and then you can head out the door to where you need to get too in the morning, without sacrificing a good for you breakfast.
This recipe is packed full of veggies and protein. Get creative with a variety of vegetables you can put in this dish.
Could we be any healthier people?
Don’t worry about what your dish looks like before it is cooked. This pic is before baking it and it looks like there is not enough eggs.
But have no fear, the eggs will bake up around the veggies and look like this.
And there you have it, breakfast is served.
- Cooking oil – I used 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 1 pound of chicken sausage – I used sweet Italian
- 1 medium onion cut in small strips
- 3 cups of broccoli florets
- 1-2 jalapenos seeds removed and diced
- 1 large zucchini cut in quartered pieces
- 4-5 mushrooms sliced
- 3 tomatoes diced
- Bunch of spinach cut in medium pieces
- 12-14 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 375.
- Brown the chicken sausage on medium to high heat for about 8-10 minutes and set aside.
- Add cooking oil to a large pan on medium to high heat and saute the onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the pan with the onions. Cook about 8 minutes.
- Add the zucchini cook for 5 minutes, then add the mushroom and cook for 5 minutes.
- Using a large mixing bowl crack and beat the eggs.
- Add the sausage, sauteed vegetables, tomato and spinach, salt, pepper and any seasonings of choice to the large bowl of eggs.
- Stir all ingredients.
- Pour into a 9×9 baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until eggs are cooked and edges start to brown.
- Let cool and serve or refrigerate and microwave to reheat.
Would love to hear about make ahead breakfasts that you have in your recipe bank.