For the last couple years I have been looking for stocking holders. Last year we used one of those sticky plastic hooks to hang our stockings. This year I wanted real stocking holders. The challenge for me is our TV hangs above the mantle leaving only about 6 inches of room for anything to fit under it. So hence the monogram stocking holder was born.
2×4 (amount depends on how many stocking holders)
2 1/4 inch screws
Thin plywood scraps
Hooks or drawer knobs
Hanger bolts if you are using drawer knobs
Command picture hanging strips
I cut my 2×4 in 6 inch blocks so for four stocking holders I had eight cuts total. If you don’t have a saw have an employee at Home Depot or Lowes cut them for you. Here is a picture of my eight blocks. I forgot to take a picture before drilling in one of the blocks…oops.
I then drilled two holes at the bottom of each base.
Next I glued the top piece to the base, let the glue dry and used the 2 1/4 inch screws to screw it in place.
Then I stained the blocks with Rustoleum Dark Walnut.
While the wood was drying. I cut and spray painted the thin plywood pieces. My cuts were 5 x 2 3/4 inches and spray paint was Rustoleum in Heirloom White.
After spray painting the plywood I sanded and stained them.
Next I picked my font of Lucinda Bright font size 240. I cut out the letters, traced them and painted a few coats with black acrylic paint.
I found some old drawer knobs that I thought would work great to hang the stockings.
I spray painted the drawer knobs and the upholstery nails with Rustoleum Hammered spray paint in Dark Bronze.
I glued the thin plywood pieces to the 2×4 blocks, drilled a hole in the base for my drawer knobs. Then I screwed in the hanger bolts to the drawer knobs and then screwed the knobs into the base. I also hammered the upholstery nails into the corners of the thin plywood. This was challenging because I hammered them in crooked sometimes and also the spray paint was chipping off. So I took a small nail and made a small hole with the nail to premake the hole for the upholstery nails. This really helped the upholstery nails to go in straight. I then took a q-tip and touched up where the spray paint had chipped off. You can also see in this picture that I sanded the edges of the 2×4 blocks to give them an aged look.
Here is a picture of what hanger bolts look like.
Next I placed a Command Picture Hanging Strip under the stocking holders and on the mantle to hold the stockings in place. I anticipate a full stocking this year so I wanted to make sure these were secure to hold the loot ;-).
And here they are all finished sitting on the mantle.
I hope you are enjoying the holidays!
Leave a Reply